Do I have income if I provide someone with a service and that person pays me with virtual currency?

Yes.  When you receive property, including virtual currency, in exchange for performing services, whether or not you perform the services as an employee, you recognize ordinary income.  For more information on compensation for services, see Publication 525, Taxable and Nontaxable Income.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.